What are the best tips for gutter maintenance?March 31, 2014
All too often the importance of the operation of a home’s gutters is underestimated. We don’t think of our gutters often enough, and that shows through how many have to be replaced annually. Gutters are almost an out of sight out of mind accessory, but their maintenance is critical to the upkeep of the home.
Gutters are notorious for collecting twigs, leaves and other debris. Even birds and insects love to build their nests in your gutters. When too much debris collects inside them the water becomes stuck. This is when the real trouble sets in.
The damages from clogged gutters can be quite costly. It is of the utmost importance to be sure that your gutters remain debris free so that water can free flow throughout the entire structure.
This is without a doubt a mundane task to say the least, but it must be done. After all, the gutters are the first line of defense against things like soil erosion from the foundation of the home and calculated water runoff distribution.
If the runoff is not appropriately redirected it can make its way into the foundation of your home through small cracks and cervices. When it is forced back out then parts of your foundation will be forced out with it. Eventually you could see leakage in the basement, which could lead to issues with mold and structural damage.
Blocked gutters can also become very heavy. This can cause them to break free from their fasteners and pull away from the home. Furthermore, gutters that are not properly working can lead to sinkholes. That is nothing you want to contend with, and we have seen quite a bit of sinkhole activity as of late in the news, especially in the southern states.
The cosmetic flaw is there, but truly is the least of your worries. Let’s talk now about how to clean your gutters. It really is not that difficult, and it will save you a ton of work in the long run, not to mention money.
You will need a good, sturdy ladder that offers you plenty of room to reach the gutters. You should use a ladder that allows you to lean against something solid and sturdy. Do not lean the ladder against the gutters. Scaffolding can be used as well.
There are tools specifically made for tougher gutter cleaning jobs. When you purchase the gutter scoop it is important to measure the gutter first so to get the correct size. In construction and maintenance one size does not fit all.
Think before you throw. If you just toss the gunk onto the ground you will have to pick it up all over again. Bring a bag or put a trash bucket by where you will be cleaning so that you can transfer the debris right into the appropriate disposal location. This will minimize your work considerably.
After you have gotten all of the large blockages removed go ahead and get the smaller debris. You will probably find a layer of mildew as well. This should be cleaned. You can get gutter brushes to make this task easier. Look for the longer handled ones with rounded heads, as they will work best and with the most convenience. You may consider using a pressure washer as well.
Last but not least you could get the help of a professional to get your gutters cleaned. This needs to be done twice a year, but definitely every spring. It is recommended to have the other cleaning in late fall.
With a professional this is a no hassle way to not only protect your home, preserve the integrity of the gutter system and be sure that everything is secure but it is a smart way to maintain structure preservation as well.
Apex Vacuum Gutter Cleaning
Diamond Creek, Victoria, 3089
Ph: 0410 614 924
Fax: 03 9438 2743
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Road Works and Construction: Benefits of High Pressure Water Digging for Trenches
- Roof and Gutter Cleaning: Practical Maintenance Solutions versus Re-Roofing and Guttering
- View all articles…
- What Makes High Pressure Cleaning Safe and Effective?
- Commercial and Industrial Gutter Cleaners: 5 Help Tips That Will Help You Find a Good Gutter Cleaning Contractor
- View all articles…
- Benefits of Gutter Cleaning for Your Roof's Longevity and Protection
- Hire Experts to Fix Blocked Drains and Pipes
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Best Shape Vinyl Gutter for
- Why does my Gutters Stink?
- Old Wooden Roof Shingles can Clog Your Gutters
- Suck it to Your Gutters with Vacuum gutter cleaning
- Home Injuries: The Dangers of Climbing onto the Roof
- Trimming Tree Branches helps to Prevent Clogged Gutters
- Don't Let a Good Gutter Go Bad
- Types of Gutters
- Tips for getting the best gutter cleaning services-apex vacuum
- Commercial gutter cleaning
- Spouting maintenance
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Plastic Gutters?
- Ten Easy Gutter Cleaning Tips
- High Pressure Drain Cleaning
- When to replace your gutters and downpipes